Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Spring is here at last!

The first green buds are popping out on the trees and it's getting hot! It's supposed to get up to 70 today, which is a good sign. And we're getting enough daylight (I accidentally stayed up past midnight last night because I thought it was about 10:00) that I don't think we'll be getting any more hard frosts, so I might get to start putting my plants outside. Hooray!
Last weekend was totally nuts and very fun. I'm so proud of my graduate! But I don't really have much to report on the sustainability front. Having so many people in town means that we haven't cooked at home since Friday. We made salmon chowder for the family, and then in all the craziness everyone forgot that the pot was still on the cold stove until Sunday, when it was all moldy and disgusting. (I hate wasting food. I always think how disappointed my grandmother would be.) So I'm really looking forward to grocery shopping tonight and making dinner. I think I'll make that couscous dish for us. A light meal sounds perfect after all the heavy restaurant food we've eaten.
Plus, my little brother is now gone! We're back to just the two of us and it's so nice. Not that we really got to enjoy it last night. I had softball, and when I came home poor Shane was fast asleep in his computer chair. He did move to the bed sometime around when I fell asleep, but he was still sleeping this morning when I left for work. He didn't sleep much over the weekend.
I also missed the farmer's market on Saturday. Darn it. I'll just have to see what fresh vegetables HGMarket has this evening.
It's funny what Shane and I are still learning about each other after four years. This weekend I discovered that he really likes sprouts. At the salad bar for the place we went for the graduation dinner, he piled them on his salad. I had to tell him, "Why didn't you tell me you like sprouts? I would have been buying them!" I never did because I thought I was the only one who liked them, and they'd go bad too fast for me to eat them all. Well, now I know. I might look into growing them, but I will definitely buy them when I see them at the Market.
I forgot to bring milk to work with me this morning, so no tea. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment