Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Thoroughly amused

With no job in sight (though lots of applications out there), Shane has been staying up really late. And frequently, he's been waking up a bit when my alarm goes off, at least enough for us to have a short conversation. Mostly it's along the lines of, "How did you sleep?" "Fine." "Ok, then, have a great day at work." On Monday, however, when I said I'd slept fine Shane asked, "Really? Because you were sure up for a long time last night."
Me, "What? I never got up last night."
Shane: "Um, yes you did. You got up and went to the bathroom and then made a piece of toast, which you ate in bed."
Me: "I don't remember that at all. Are you sure it was last night?"
Shane: "Yes. I was still awake when you did all of this."
Me: "Did I say anything?",
Shane: "No. I asked if you were all right and you sort of grunted at me."
Me (snorting with laughter): "Um, I think I might have been asleep during all of this."
Monday night I slept horribly. I was awake for at least an hour in the middle of the night, having gotten up because I needed my 2 a.m. (or, rather, 4 a.m.) pee and snack break. I tossed and turned for a long time after that.
Last night, however, was eventful for an entirely different reason. When I woke up this morning Shane asked his usual, "How'd you sleep," and when I said, "Fine," he gave me another, "You've got to be kidding me," look.
Shane: "Are you sure? Because you were up and down a lot last night. Like, 3 times you got up and went to the bathroom."
Me: "I only remember one of those. Are you sure I got up that many times?"
Shane: "Positive."
Me: "Wow, I must be sleepwalking."
Shane (after a pause): "Well, I suppose I'm just happy you're not peeing the bed. Whether or not you actually made it to the toilet, I haven't determined."
We giggled for a second over that before I finally started getting dressed and he went back to sleep. However, I was intrigued enough to look it up today while at work. Apparently, hormonal changes during pregnancy can trigger sleepwalking, particularly in those who've been known to sleepwalk in the past. Check and check. Here I'd been thinking for a couple of weeks that I needed to get up during the night less than I had before but it turns out my body/brain has come up with a different solution: just don't wake me up for these nightly excursions. I can't say it's a bad thing. The only scary part is that I made toast in my sleep the other night. Since I'm back to making all of our bread, this means that I used an extremely sharp knife (seriously, I sliced my thumb open through the fingernail a while ago because it slipped while I was washing it) to cut the bread. I still have all my fingers, and no new cuts, so nothing bad actually happened. But I have heard of people breaking their toes and such during the night because of sleepwalking. !!! In light of that, I think Shane is starting to stay up late on purpose to monitor me when I get up and make sure I don't hurt myself. It's easy enough for him to tell when I'm sleepwalking since I rarely sleepwalk and talk at the same time. (Although it has been known to happen--I've got a really funny story about working at a summer camp when I was 18 and running around waking people up in the middle of the night....)
Ah, the little joys. If you're surprised by how many times during the night I need to get up and pee, you've clearly never been pregnant yourself. This is typical. With all of the extra blood I now have I need about 80 gallons of water each day to sustain myself. (That might be a slight exaggeration, but it doesn't feel like it.) Just last night I drank a glass of water, took the dog for a ten minute walk, and then needed another glass of water when I got home, from the "exertion". (It was a flat walk, and not particularly warm or cold.) So of course I keep a glass of water next to my bed, which often gets drunk and refilled when I get up in the night. (At least...on nights when I'm awake for that.) Unfortunately, the cat decided a while ago that the water in my glass was the best water for him to drink and he frequently comes over to drink out of it. Even worse, he taught this habit to the dog! No glass of water is safe in our house anymore.
I booked my next ultrasound appointment today. Four more weeks and we get to find out the sex of the baby! That seems crazy fast. And yet, I already feel like I've been pregnant for the longest time. :)
In other news, I saw my first hint of greenery on my walk home yesterday and today saw lots more. The leaves are just starting to come out and some blades of grass are finally green. Spring is here, by next week it will officially be summer in Fairbanks! ...My garden is so behind....

No comments:

Post a Comment