Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Terrible Person

So, I'm not good at saying no. And by that I mean saying no to things that I know I shouldn't do/eat/take. For example, I know that the cake served at Shane's graduation after-party was not only not good for me (does the fact that it was carrot cake make a difference?) but it was served on an unrecycleable plate with a plastic, unrecycleable fork. I knew all this, and I still took a piece. They'd already been cut up and put on plates, so would it really have made a difference if I'd not taken it? Probably not. After all, they'd still be getting rid of that used plate and probably the food on it if no one ate it. But as you can tell, I'm still beating myself up over it several days later. So that's why I was very happy to read this article in the Huffington Post today about eco-guilt. She says that eco-guilt isn't a bad thing because, honestly, we have a lot to feel guilty about. But at the same time, we shouldn't let that stop us from trying to make small changes in our own lives (they really do add up!) and we need to recognize when we do something good. So I'll try to be a stronger person when offered a free piece of cake or plastic utensils or styrofoam cups of tea. But I'll also take a moment to recognize that I'm not perfect and I am trying to better myself. That's what really counts.
The other night after graduation, Shane, our brothers and I were looking at stuff through Stumbleupon. (I love that site.) We came across a list of some of the most incredible places to see, such as Niagra Falls and the ruins at Angkor Wat, Cambodia. I love traveling, and I think it's important for each and every person to be exposed to life outside their own small world. But traveling takes money, so I haven't done as much of it as I'd like. (Only 16 states, one trip to Scotland, and a trip through the Caribbean. Poor me.) So in a fit of longing I told Shane, "We need to make millions of dollars so that we can see all these places." In all seriousness he answered, "We'll never make that much money. You'll be too busy giving it all away if we even get close." It took me about a split second before saying, "Yeah, actually, you're right." He added, "That's why I'm going to have an account you know nothing about." Wait, what? I think he was joking....
The names and pictures of three strykers killed in Afghanistan were in the paper this morning. Really puts my little problems in perspective. RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment