Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Are you going to eat that?

So, I have a confession to make. I hate leafy green vegetables. Which is probably a big part of the reason I'm having a hard time forcing myself to eat all kinds of veggies lately. They're so good for me, and I know this, and I will talk them up all day long (in part to convince myself of their goodness), but I'm not a huge fan of the taste. In fact, while eating my lunch salad yesterday I almost gagged! Apparently I've been eating too many of them straight and my taste buds decided they were done.
So I'm generally the kind of person who sneaks them into my own food. When we make pizza, I pile on the spinach with all of my other vegetable toppings, because they do a great job of covering up the spinach taste. The last time we made pizza, it was BBQ chicken and I told Shane, "I can't even taste the spinach!" He asked what was the point of it then and I answered, "To eat more spinach, silly."
I'm always trying to find more ways to add leafy greens into my diet without actually having to consume them straight. So I was very happy yesterday when egg wraps were brought to my attention. I'd totally forgotten about them, but they're so good (and good for you) and you can add just about anything. A great way of sneaking more leafy greens into your diet.
The one I made used garlic, green onions (when I brought them home from the farmer's market Shane asked, "Where did you get those? They're f---ing huge!"), and radish greens. I cooked all of this together until the radish greens were just a bit wilted, then added raw scrambled eggs until they were done cooking. Roll up in a whole-wheat tortilla, add some cheese (I used parmesan, but I think cheddar would have been yummy too) and ta-da! Really fast, really tasty and nutritious meal. Which is good when you have to rush off to stuff in the evening. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment