Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Lessons from the marriage trenches

Since we got married, I've noticed that Shane and I are both making a concerted effort to be even kinder to and more appreciative of each other. Something about the knowledge that, for better or worse, we really will be seeing each other pretty much every day for the rest of our lives might have something to do with it. And people are wrong--marriage isn't just like living together. Even knowing that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together, everything now seems more pertinent. If I'm being grouchy and mean it's not just to the guy I live with, it's to my husband. That title somehow makes it seem more important.
Anyway, Shane's ego is still quite bruised from being unemployed for the second time this year (and no good prospects in sight) so I've been extra careful to let him know when I appreciate something he's done. Last night, it was chicken stock. He had to run to the store (Halloween costume stuff) and I needed chicken stock for the soup. When I got home last night, there was chicken stock sitting on the counter. Organic chicken stock. I don't blame you if you don't understand why that's relevant. You see, Shane doesn't really care about organic or not organic. For him, at the moment, price is everything. If it was just for himself, he'd grab the cheapest stock he could have found. But because he knows it matters to me, he sprang for the organic stuff. So I ran back and gave him a big kiss and a hug to say thank you.
Now if only I can get him to use the reusable bags rather than plastic....
Last lesson: I should probably not use the phrase "I'd do almost anything to get out of _______ chore." It's always a bad sign when the devilish answer is, "Anything?"

No comments:

Post a Comment