Sunday, November 6, 2011

Sunday total

So, how did we do about sticking to our budget this week? Actually, we made it in just under the line at $120! Part of that is because I needed to buy more wheat flour. I don't buy it in 50 lb bags like white flour because it goes rancid faster (there are more oils in it) but I buy lovely 10 lb sacks of organic flour. I bought 2 that will last us a few weeks.
The thing I'm most happy about, though, is how much was bought not at the grocery store, which is about half of it. The flour and milk were bought at the feed store, and almost all of the meat (except the pepperoni) was from HG Market.
The dog got a haircut yesterday and seems much happier for it. She was being bratty for a while because she was so uncomfortable, and this should help. I understand how she feels, though. It's been almost a year since I last got a haircut and my hair is driving me nuts! Should I cut it myself? (I did that once, in college, and most people commented on how straight I did it.)
This morning I made these cinnamon rolls for breakfast, along with some spicy moose sausage and tea. Next time I make the baking mix, though, I'm going to use baking powder instead of baking soda, which left a bitter aftertaste. If you're doing that, you need to eliminate the cream of tartar since baking powder is a combination of baking soda and cream of tartar. I'm also going to increase the butter/sugar/cinnamon mix since that flavor didn't come out very strongly in these. But it seems to be a recipe worth keeping, so far. Very easy to put together, and she says that the baking mix can be used in anything you'd normally put Bisquick into so it has a variety of uses. Be sure to store it in the fridge or freezer, though, because otherwise the oil/shortening will go bad fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment