Tuesday, December 6, 2011

In trade

Shane and I have continued our obsession with hot mulled cider. We've been buying lovely organic cider, which comes in 3 quart glass jars. They're a wonderful size and I'm sure they're useful for something, but I couldn't think of what to use them for in our house other than Shane's cold-pressed coffee. (The cold pressing doesn't have as much acid, so it's better for his stomach.) But we don't need as many jars for that as we have, and the collection is growing. What to do with the rest? I hate to waste them.
We also got another wedding present the other day. From my brother and sister-in-law. (I sent theirs really late, too!) They sent a lovely electric kettle, which is stainless steel and about three times larger than our old plastic one. I bought that one for my dorm room, and wanted a small one so that it would pack into my suitcase nicely when it needed to. Nice for the dorms, inconvenient now for two people who go through a surprising amount of hot water. I've already used it quite a few times and it's a lovely addition to our kitchen supplies.
It also left me with the quandary of what to do with the old kettle? The obvious answer was, give it away. If no one of my acquaintance wanted it, I could always stuff it in my give-away bag. So I posted on Facebook about it, and while I was at it I asked if any cabin dwellers wanted some glass jugs to hold water. In less than five minutes, a friend responded that she wanted both! So we made plans for her to come get them. Another friend, seeing our FB back-and-forths, asked friend one if she could also drop off a bowl that friend two had left at her cabin? That way she could just get the bowl from me since we see each other far more often than they do. That is very much a win, in my opinion.
I'm constantly looking at our stuff and trying to figure out what's useful and what's just Stuff. What can I get rid of? A few things which I'd be happy to part with (like our panther coffee table, which is pretty useless as a coffee table, since the top isn't connected to the base and it's constantly in danger of tipping over) I'm not sure Shane would be as happy about getting rid of. Currently, the coffee table acts more as a shield to keep the dog away from the litter box. It just takes up space, gathers dust, and yes, keeps the dog from eating disgusting things. (There's literally no other place in our apartment to put a litter box except the corner. Our bathroom is too small, the cat can't get into the garage, etc.) But I'm sure we could find something else to do that and get rid of that ugly table, which we never use. A friend of ours had an idea for turning a plastic tote into a giant litter box, but I haven't brought the idea up with Shane yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment